Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Chapter Eleven

Two weeks passed and Arnav and Khushi had gotten closer. Their days began and ended with each other, each day getting better and better as the baby grew bigger and bigger. People at school still spoke about them. In the beginning it was the shock that had them talking - that the ex-bad boy and the goodie-two-shoes-slash-nobody had made a baby together. Now when they spoke about them, it was their curiosity on whether or not they were a thing.

Payal knew of these things and she had began to wonder about the same thing. She cared for Khushi as much as she cared for her. Earlier when Khushi had gotten the pictures of her baby, Khushi was nervous on sharing them with Payal since Payal had lost her child. Payal didn't deny the fact that she was a bit envious, but she cared for the happiness of her best friend's so she overlooked it and was happy for Khushi.

When Arnav and Khushi came to class, Payal went over to Khushi.

"Hey Khushi. Can I talk to you for a bit," she asked, glancing at Arnav.

It had become a regular thing for Arnav to sit with Khushi. He moved his desk back everyday so that he would sit next to Khushi. The teacher would yell, but Arnav never cared, and the teacher gave up. So since Payal wanted to talk to Khushi privately, she would have to get her away from Arnav.

Arnav moved his seat to where it should be and Payal spoke low to Khushi so only that they could hear.

"What's up," Khushi asked.

"Nothing much. I see you've taken on some weight."

"Yeah, I have. So what did you wanna talk about?"

Payal glanced around and then looked at Khushi. "What's going on between you and Arnav?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean are you guys like a thing?"

Khushi scrunched her eyebrows. "What?"

"Do you guys go out?"

"No! What-"

"Everyone's asking questions Khushi. The whole student body is wondering if you guys are together or not."

"Why? Just because he's the father of my child?"

Payal tilted her head. "Khushi, you have to admit that you guys have gotten closer. And I mean way closer."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You guys come in matching now and then. You're always together, coming in and going out of this building. You even spend more time with him!"

"I do not!"

"Yes you do Khushi."

Khushi looked away.

"Listen, I'm just asking because it's annoying to hear crap from all of these people."

Khushi sighed. "I'm sorry Pays. I didn't mean to yell."

"I know," she smiled softly. "I'm just looking out for you."

Khush smiled as well.

Payal glanced back at Arnav. "He seems to be doing a very good job."

"He is," Khushi said, looking at Arnav, who was busy on his phone.

"He's very sweet."

"He is. Every night, before we go to bed, he always says goodnight to me and the baby."

"That's cute."

"Mm hmm. We spend a lot of time together at his place. The idea of the baby keeps us together and it goes on beyond that."

Payal looked at Khushi for a moment, watching how Khushi was looking at Arnav. "You're in love."

Khushi snapped back to reality. "What?"

"You're in love."

Khushi couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Don't be absurd!"

"You're in love Khushi. It's visible all over your face. The way you look at him, the way you act around him, the way you care about him - I've been seeing it with my own two eyes Khushi. You're talking about him all the time and you worry about the smallest of things when it comes to him. You're in love Khushi, and you're in denial."

Khushi just blinked. "That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while," she grinned.

Payal held her hands up in innocence. "I said it as I see it, sister. It's up to you on whether or not you wanna be in denial."

Payal tapped Arnav's shoulder and went back to her seat. Arnav moved his seat back and looked at Khushi confusedly.

"What was that about," Arnav asked.

"Nothing," Khushi smiled lightly.

Class went on and Arnav had his arm wrapped around Khushi the entire time. In the middle of the lesson, Khushi began to wonder about Payal said.

Could she be right, Khushi wondered.

The thought stuck to her head all day. It annoyed Khushi that she couldn't figure it out. Even back at Arnav's she was lost in thought.

Do I love him? You'd think that you would know that you love someone but no! This is so stupid! 

Khushi was in her room, completing her homework.

I probably think so much about Arnav because he's the father of my child. That's not wrong of me. Plus I now live with him, so sorry if my life now focuses more around him!

I don't like him, I highly doubt it. Payal is just saying some crazy stuff!

Khushi finished up the last of her homework. She had nothing to do, so she decided she'd spend some time with Arnav. Heading over to Arnav's room, she knocked and opened the door. Arnav was nowhere to be seen so she stepped in.

"Arnav," she called out, but Arnav wasn't there.

She looked around the room, but Arnav was nowhere to be found.

Where is he?

Khushi walked out of the room and looked for him. Arnav was usually in his room at this time of the day, busy with homework and other stuff. It puzzled her as to why Arnav wasn't there today.

Khushi was walking past Dadi's room, when she heard her talking.

"... see Arnav? Even though you chose not to hear my words, life played its game and you did what I asked of you."

Asked of him? What? She moved to the door so that she could get a peek inside.

"Wrong," Arnav said. "I did it as a mistake, which I regret-"

"How dare you?! Do you not care for this family? Arnav you are the only hope I have to see this family continue!"

Khushi scrunched her eyebrows. Only hope?

"Why does it matter so much to you? None of this is important-"

"Of course it is important. Do you have any idea how much of a respected family we are because of your ancestors?!"

"I don't care!"

"Well I do! This family lineage is very important to me and unless I see the next heir, I will not be able to die peacefully."

"That's ridiculous-"

"You wouldn't understand because you don't care. All that matters to me is that I see the heir of this family and rest in peace."

"You're a mad woman! Honestly, I wish I had never walked out of the house that day. Then maybe, just maybe, all of this could've been prevented from happening."

Khushi felt her heart pit. Arnav....

"But you can't change time," Dadi said. "Trust me, if it could have, then I would've changed everything

Arnav looked away.

"We will speak no more of this. What's done is done, and all that matters now is the child Khushi is carrying-"

"And what exactly do you plan to do when she gives birth to the child," Arnav asked, looking at her. "Answer that because that's one thing I simply don't understand."

Khushi's eyes widened, fear growing inside.

"When the heir is born, I will-"

Khushi stepped back and knocked a small vase over, which was sitting on a table behind her. The vase broke into pieces and Khushi moved away before Arnav and his dadi came out.

Arnav was the first one to come out of the room. "Khushi, are you okay? What are you doing here?"

"M-my head was spinning slightly," Khushi lied. "I was going to go downstairs for water, but my head was spinning and I ended up turning into this hall and bumped into the table," she said and held her forehead.

Arnav went to her side immediately and held her. "You should've asked for someone to help you."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bump into the table-"

"Ssh, that's not important," Arnav said softly. "What matters is that you're okay and didn't get hurt."

Khushi nodded, looking down at the floor.

Dadi had come out and had called a worker to clean up the mess. "Khushi, I think it's best if you go to your room."

"Okay," Khushi nearly whispered.

Arnav was about to walk her away, when Dadi spoke.

"Wait Khushi."

The two looked back at her.

Dadi came up to her and for a moment, Khushi was scared. She was hoping that Dadi hadn't realized that she had lied.

Dadi stood in front of her. "You have to be more careful okay? If you ever need anything, just tell someone to do it. It's their job to help you. Okay?"

Khushi nodded. "I'll try to keep that in mind."

Dadi smiled lightly. "I know you're not used to it yet, but hopefully you will."

Khushi nodded and Arnav took her back to her room. He helped her into bed and placed the covers over her.

Arnav tucked her in. "If you need anything, just call me, okay?"

Khushi nodded but she didn't look at him.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

Arnav sat down beside Khushi, cupping her face in his hand, moving it so that she'd look at him. For a moment, the two just looked at each other. Khushi looked at him and wondered to herself.

Why is it that I can't take my eyes off of him? This should feel awkward but... but it feels perfect.

"Khushi are you scared about what just happened?"

Khushi looked down. If you only knew what's going through my head.

Arnav sighed. "Khushi, don't be scared. You don't have to worry about anything. You didn't fall over, and that's what matters. You just need to be a bit more careful."

Khushi just nodded.

Arnav smiled softly. "Don't worry about a thing. I'll take care of you and our baby. Okay?"

Khushi looked up at him. He was smiling and Khushi could only wonder. She nodded slightly and Arnav got up to turn off the lights and closed the door behind him as he left. Once the door shut, Khushi could only stare up at the ceiling and think of Arnav's and dadi's conversation.

*Flashback*

"And what exactly do you plan to do when she gives birth to the child? Answer that because that's one thing I simply don't understand.

"When the heir is born, I will-"

*End of Flashback*

Khushi cursed, mad that she didn't get to hear the end of what Dadi had to say.

Is she going to kick me out, Khushi wondered. Is that what she plans on doing?

Khushi turned to her side.

You know what, who cares if she does. I don't care. I don't care at all! I don't care one bit that...

Dhak-dhak! Dhak-dhak!
Dhak-dhak! Dhak-dhak!

Khushi sighed. That I realize that I'm lying.

Khushi shut her eyes and she saw Arnav flash before her eyes. She opened them up immediately and shut them again. She, again, saw an image of Arnav flash before her eyes.

Khushi took in a sharp breath. I think I am falling for Arnav.

6 comments:

  1. Mind blowing update
    Loved it
    Maybe dadi was suggesting Arnav to marry khushi
    Poor khushi it's be thinking worst of her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb update dear... Hope atleast arnav truly cares for khushi... Plz update soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. today only i started reading this ff..
    nd u have doing a great job..
    from starting i had a doubt abt arnav..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice update
    Arnav care for khushi and the baby so much
    Dadi and her plans waiting for the mystery to reveal
    Oh khushi is in love :)
    Hope Arnav will never hurt khushi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Khushi is definitely in love with Arnav
    Damn now she thinks she only wanted for the heir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correct me of I m getting it wrong but the conversation feels like arnav doesn't want the baby and is just doing so because dadi wants the child

    ReplyDelete